Antibacterial Wearables

The coronavirus pandemic has increased consumer interest in antibacterial materials, from which some brands have already begun to sew clothes. Originally used in medical uniforms and military uniforms, as well as suits for astronauts and athletes, such fabrics can become a new word in fashion and gain popularity among ordinary buyers.

Previously, only overalls for doctors use fabrics that have antibacterial properties as materials. They were not popular among ordinary people. However, such fabrics have the convenient effect of self-disinfection, which turned out to be very useful during a pandemic. Therefore, a demand arose among consumers, who now began to pay more attention to their health and the products related to it.

Noble Biomaterials

One of the manufacturers of antibacterial fabrics, the American company Noble Biomaterials, produces ionized fabrics, the antibacterial effect of which is created due to silver threads in the material, and is actively used in the fight against bacteria and the neutralization of viruses.

The material that Noble makes is 7% fabric with positively charged silver ions, while the remaining 93% can be made from ordinary synthetics or cotton. At the same time, such clothes can clean the dirt themselves. Scrubs and protective glasses, masks, and goggles use antimicrobial fibers as materials.

The tendency for health and safety in fashion will grow, according to the company. With increased audience interest in the topic of personal care, there will be more and more new developments in antibacterial fabrics and new areas of their application.

Mack Weldon

The American men’s underwear brand Mack Weldon has chosen to make clothes from antibacterial fabrics as its concept. “We were the first brand to use pure silver in everyday wear,” the company’s website says.

Nevertheless, these fabrics have long been used in the creation of suits for NASA astronauts. Also, they have been used in the creation of sports uniforms for Olympic athletes and soldiers of the US troops.

Sales of antibacterial fabrics will continue to grow, according to Matthew Condon, creative director of the brand. Previously, a niche segment – underwear or sportswear used such fabrics. Now they will become a mass raw material for designers in all areas, from everyday style to luxury and outerwear. Since the advent of the coronavirus, consumers have been looking for multifunctional clothing that has a range of uses, he said.

The company has already started selling protective masks made of antibacterial fabric with silver thread, as well as waterproof. Also, the brand is going to relaunch a line of bags made from a fabric that they already released a couple of years ago.

Other suppliers of antibacterial fabrics, as well as sustainable recycled materials, are emerging on the market, such as the Unifi brand, which makes fabric from plastic bottles, or the U-long brand.


A U-long fabric’s antibacterial protection helps stop odors, the buildup of fungi in textiles, and the development of germs. Additionally, during production, manufacturers mix antimicrobial additives with the polymer. This offers a barrier treatment for controlling germs or fungus.

To create a product that prevents the growth of microbes, such fabrics have antimicrobial chemicals either applied to the surface or infused within the fibers. Over 90% of bacteria are safely regenerated by this long-lasting germ killer.

 Now the medicine industry, as well as the manufacture of sportswear and children’s textiles use the antibacterial fabric. But, it is highly likely that hangers with different models made of fashionable antibacterial fabric will soon appear in clothing stores. Clothing made from such fabrics will be excellent protection against germs and bacteria during any crisis. Stay safe!

Survivior - How to survive a catastrophe